The Planning & Community Preservation Department is made up of the Planning, Zoning, Building & Safety, Code Enforcement, and Filming Divisions.
Planning and Zoning divisions are responsible for regulating the type, scale, and land use that may be established at a given location.
Building and Safety division is responsible for structural and life safety concerns in the construction, demolition or alteration of buildings.
Code Enforcement Division conducts investigations to abate code violations and public nuisance abatement.
Filming Division coordinates and monitors on-location filming and photo shoots.
- Zoning Review - Reviews projects for compliance with City zoning codes.
- Advanced Planning - Implements policies of the General Plan and prepares Municipal Code text amendments, zone changes and General Plan amendments
- Historic Preservation - Advises about historic preservation issues.
- Environmental Compliance - Monitors and maintains documents and certifications for State and local requirements.
- Plan Check - Reviews project plans and issues permits for all new development and renovation projects.
- Building Inspections - Inspects and issues certificates of occupancy for all construction projects.
- Code Enforcement - Investigates property maintenance nuisances, such as control of overgrown vegetation, unlawful accumulation of debris, vacant buildings, unlawful use of potable water, etc.
- Filming - Coordinates on-location filming and photo shoots in the city. Services include coordination of all permits in accordance with our local zoning ordinance and marketing of SIerra Madre to the film industry.
The Department consists of five full-time staff members, one part-time staff member, and three contract Building and Safety employees. The Planning & Community Preservation Department is available by phone at (626) 355-7138. Below is a visual representation of our staffing structure.
Service Counter Hours:
- Monday through Thursday 7:30am - 2:00pm
- Closed Friday
FY 2014 – 2015 Annual Report